National Technical Honor Society
Guthrie NTHS Leadership for 2016-2017
- President – Kyle Brastrom – SHS
- Vice President – Cassidy Irish – MHS
- Treasurer. – Kate Sparenburg – MHS
- Secretary – Kassandra Lopez – WAIS
What is NTHS?
NTHS is the acknowledged leader in the recognition of outstanding student achievement in career & technical education. Thousands of schools and colleges are affiliated with the Society. Member schools agree that NTHS encourages higher scholastic achievement, cultivates a desire for personal excellence, and helps top students find success in today’s highly competitive workplace.
The purpose of NTHS is to:
- Recognize and honor excellence in career and technical education,
- Encourage students to reach for higher levels of achievement, develop self-esteem and pride,
- Champion a stronger, more positive image for career and technical education in America,
- Promote critical workplace values- including skill development, honesty, responsibility, service , citizenship and leadership,
- Help member schools and colleges build and maintain effective partnerships with local business and industry,
- Provide greater career opportunities for members and
- Promote educational excellence in America.
- NTHS membership materials including: custom certificate, presentation folder, member pin, ID card, window decal, white tassel, official NTHS diploma seal and general letter of recommendation customized for each student’s career portfolio.
- Access to the secure online career center for a period of one year after graduation.
- NTHS scholarship opportunities including the Jon H. Poteat scholarship and others through our career/technical student organization partners.
- Access to requesting specific letters of recommendation for employment, college, or scholarships for a period of one year after graduation.
- Recruitment opportunities by top U.S colleges and corporations.
Candidates for membership:
- Must be enrolled in at least one Career and Technical Education class in high school,
- Meet local and national membership standards,
- Be nominated by their instructor(s)
- Be approved by the local administration.
Must exhibit the following criteria:
- Demonstrate scholastic achievement
- Show progress in skill and knowledge development
- Exhibit pride in themselves and in their work
- Demonstrate honesty, responsibility and dependability
- Have the ability to work well with others
- Show leadership, and good citizenship
- Requirements/Standards for Membership Induction
- Student must be in grade 10, 11 or 12
- Must have an overall GPA of 3.5 for a 4 point scale
- Must have a overall GPA in CTE classes 3.5 for a 4 point scale
- Receive Teacher nomination
- Community Service Involvement – Members are to earn 16 hours per year
- Attendance Requirement – Members are to maintain a good attendance record and should not have truancy or multiple unexcused absences
- Discipline Record Check – Members should not receive any office referrals or have any suspensions
Requirements/Standards for Active Membership:
- Maintain GPA, attendance and discipline requirements for induction
- Attend NTHS meetings(1 each six weeks)
- Participate in NTHS activity, and community service events (NTHS will have 2 per semester)
- Earn 16 hours community service per year (Half from NTHS activity)
Members Standards of Conduct:
- As a member of the National Technical Honor Society, I pledge to:
- Maintain the highest standard of personal and professional conduct at all times;
- Strive for excellence in all aspects of my education and employment;
- Refuse to engage in or condone activities for personal gain at the expense of my fellow students, my school or my employer;
- Support the intents and purposes of NTHS while working to achieve the objectives and goals of the society; and
- Uphold obligations as a citizen of my community and my country.
- Members should be trustworthy, honest and responsible student-citizens who have made a personal commitment to excellence and who agree to uphold NTHS Standards of Conduct.
Costs to Join
- Induction Fee: $25.00 –The one-time membership fee is $25. Included will be a custom certificate, presentation folder, ID card, member pin, diploma seal, decal and white graduation tassel with the NTHS drop.
- Yearly Dues: $10.00
The local chapter will hold a meeting once a grading period. If additional meetings are needed they will be called by the president or sponsor(s)
Meeting Attendance Policy:
- Miss 1 meeting – No penalty
- Miss 2 meetings – Probation
- Miss 3 meetings – Dismissal
- New candidate nominations: Occur each semester
- 1st semester – End of 2nd six weeks or 4th progress report for 9 week grading period
- 2nd semester – End of 5th six weeks or 7th progress report for 9 week grading period
The officers will be President; Vice-President; Secretary and Treasurer. These officers will be elected by the membership of The Guthie Center Chapter and will hold the position for one year. Elections will occur in the spring semester by the end of April.
Duties of the Chapter Officers:
- President – The president will preside at all meetings, appoint committees and shall represent the chapter at official organization gatherings. The president shall cooperate with the chapter advisor(s) and with the chapter executive committee to supervise the local chapter, determine policy and conduct the general activities of the chapter.
- Vice-President – The vice-president shall service in the president’s absence, act as general assistant to the president and chair the executive committee.
- Secretary – The secretary should keep all chapter records, minutes and carry on the correspondence of the local chapter.
- Treasurer – The treasurer shall have the general charge of the finances of the local chapter under the supervision of the chapter advisor. The treasurer is responsible for collecting dues and conduct financial transactions in accordance to district/local policy.
The Chapter Executive Chapter shall be made up of the chapter officers and the chapter advisors. The purpose of this committee is to oversee the general management of the local chapter.
Official Emblem, Insignia, Colors and Motto:
- Colors – The colors of the National Technical Honor Society shall be silver, white and purple.
- Official Emblem – The official emblem of the organization shall be a shield crossed by a scroll bearing the letter “NTHS”. Above the shield shall be the head of the American Bald Eagle with a wreath of seven stars circling the eagle’s head.
- Official Insignia – The official insignia has an arch upon which the seven attributes of the membership, the year the society was established and with the motto of the insignia inscribed on the foundation of the arch.
- Official Motto – The official motto of the organization shall be: “Felicitas Menti Instructae Favet” which translated reads “Success Favors the Prepared Mind.”